Wednesday, October 4, 2023

TV Week listings for Thursday, October 4, 1973.

 

On KTCA, our primary PBS station at 7:00 PM: "The Advocates," "Should the Senate Watergate Hearings Stop now?"

No.  They should not stop.  The hearings should very much continue.

Can you imagine how history would change if this program prompted a change in events?  No, thank you.

Not a lot going on on this particular Thursday.  Mainly established shows and nothing terribly exciting.  I didn't watch it at the time, but the NBC program at 9:00 PM is "NBC Follies."  According to IMDB, it was an attempt to mimic a vaudeville show, something from 40-90 years earlier.  Tonight's guests include Sammy Davis Jr, Joey Heatherton, Wayne Newton, and Mickey Rooney.  Not exactly a forward looking program.  It didn't last long and NBC would take a stab at avant garde comedy a couple years later with a program called "Saturday Night," what we now know as "Saturday Night Live."

"Kung Fu" on ABC seems to be remembered fondly by many people in my age bracket, but I watched a few episodes and I thought it was pretty boring.  I may have been a little young to understand it but I wasn't so young that I wasn't taken aback by having a clearly Caucasian dude play a clearly Chinese character.  Next!

Tim Conway was a guest on "The Flip Wilson Show" at 7:00 PM on KSTP.  Can you imagine the fun those two could have had if allowed?  I wonder if their improv wasn't sanitized for the time slot.

Tomorrow: Friday was all laughs in prime time.

No comments:

Post a Comment