Sunday, June 14, 2009

Moving Music is Going to Hurt

iTunes isn't designed to move music to a new computer intact. It has a back-up to disc function, but it only recognizes CD and DVD drives. Since I pulled the DVD drive from the old computer to use in the new one, the only way to off-load the data would be to CD. It would take at least 50 CDs and probably an entire day to execute. Nope, I decided to just move the music files and reinstall. Gone will be the play counts and notes in the files (notes as in "Cool Song," not "Do-Re-Mi") but there are worse things that could happen.

As you've seen in a previous post, my playlists are generally random in nature so play counts are fairly similar based on how long the song has been in the collection. The first song officially loaded, "When Doves Cry" by Prince, went in on December 4, 2003, and has been played 12 times. In contrast, I reloaded "FM" by Steely Dan on December 4, 2008, and it has a play count of 2.

I sometimes listen to albums and special play lists or just individual songs for which I have a yen, so some songs wrack up a higher play count than their randomly heard cousins. Here are my top three:

3) Kay Hanley - Mean Streak (Do You Miss Me, Too?) -- 41 plays
Loaded March 15, 2008. Yes, it's that good of a song.

2) Debbie Gibson - Only in My Dreams -- 46 plays
Loaded March 14, 2004

1) Jim Capaldi - That's Love -- 53 plays
Loaded December 5, 2003. I didn't like this song when it came out while I was in college. I obviously misjudged it then.

Now that all my songs will be starting out with a play count of zero, I'll try to remember to post the play counts from the new computer a year from now. It's anyone's guess who'll be at the top of the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment